Anger, bad boyfriends, Catholicism, Dragon Boat Restaurant, energy vampire, full moon, harm’s way, Irish, Old ladies on motorised wheelchairs, Sunday musings, yum cha
- While Dragon Boat Restaurant has been renovated and looks much awesomer than it used to, it’s no longer the best Yum Cha in Melbourne’s CBD.
- It is entirely possible to be friends with people who look, sound, act just like you – only to discover they have vastly different customs and values.
- Which can be both interesting and horrifying.
- Like… an Irish friend who’s been living half a world away from her family for many years. But she’ll probably give in to her mother, getting married in her home town in a Catholic church (even though she’s very lapsed), and tolerate an enormous frou-frou reception, because anything less would reflect badly on her mother with the neighbours…
- Further, while they don’t have a wedding date yet, she already knows her unborn children will be baptised and have a Catholic education. “They can choose to lapse on their own”…
- Old ladies on motorised wheelchairs have no patience and will mow down both you and your bicycle, with nary a backwards glance rather than wait two seconds for you to move out of the way. [No cyclists or push bikes were injured. This time. Except for minor bruising.]
- It’s incredibly frustrating to realise that another friend, aged 40, can still abandon her female friends for a new relationship, just like we did in high school. Man = new focus + other friends jettisoned to the periphery.
- No matter how old you get, you/your friends can still spectacularly choose the wrong boyfriend. It is also possible to break up with that boyfriend and take him back for no good reason.
- Said boyfriend can be a total energy vampire, really immature and completely wrong for your pal… and somehow this otherwise sane person will still go out with him.
- Everyone seems really angry today. Tomorrow is a full moon. Go figure.
- It’s probably another good day to stay home out of harm’s way, drink pots of tea and just shut the hell up…
P.S. Shiv finally wrote about his Aussie Birthday Bonaza Spectacular – check it out!